| Fun Words to Play With
|Ever seen something cool about a word? Well here are some examples of words that have something in common: Some loser thought about what makes these words unique.
- For five years, Webster's New International Dictionary mistakenly included an entry for dord, a word which did not exist.
- Stewardesses and reverberated are the two longest words (12 letters each) that can be typed using only the left hand.
The longest word that can be typed using only the right
hand is lollipop. Skepticisms is the longest word that
alternates hands. (one letter at a time)
- The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different
ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A
rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode
through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a
slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
- The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two
synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without
repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
- Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the
correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,
- "I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- There are six words in the English language with the letter combination "uu." Muumuu, vacuum, continuum, duumvirate, duumvir and residuum.
- The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
- Hydroxydesoxycorticosterone and hydroxydeoxycorticosterones are the largest anagrams.
- The Sanskrit word for "war" means "desire for more cows."
- "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
- The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." uses every letter of the alphabet!